Activities/Linux Repo at IITD
IIT Delhi should have properly maintained Linux repository Server. Free software repository Server will serve a dual purpose
- Student can update Linux based operating system via LAN
- It means we do not need to burn the big 3 GB DVD to install the Linux based Operating System. A basic install is sufficient. PXE boot is not an option due to no dhcp in hostels.
- Installation can be done on the system which do to have DVD ROM or CD ROM
- Student can install various free and open source software (FOSS) and Update the system using local copy at Linux repo server
- previously all student (specially in hostels) have to download softwares from Internet. This process takes a hell lot of time. If we have Internal Linux repository Server the the student can do this in seconds.
Now ( from March 2008 onward ) we have internal Linux repository Server at http://10.10.4.1 We still need volunteers who can manage this
Again we need to put voice so that this can be made external visible also,